Sunday 21 July 2013

No Comment
I've been reading:

The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath:

Esther, an average student whose life starts to spiral down a slippery slope, losing her sanity and will to live along the way. At the end of the novel the protagonist admits that even though she has an ounce of her sanity back, the bell jar of madness could descend on her at any time.

I've just finished this novel - it’s not one I’d normally have gone for, but it was on my coursework recommended reading list so I thought it’d give it a go. 
When I read the first few chapters; I thought I could probably study it next year, now I’m totally never going too. 
It was simply THE most depressing book I’ve ever read.  I definitely think that despite how much it depressed me, It wasn’t a total waste of a week as Plath demonstrates her power with words beautifully.
If you like deep and beautiful novels then you’ll love this  - but it certainly was not a poolside read. 

“I felt my lungs inflate with the onrush of scenery—air, mountains, trees, people. I thought, "This is what it is to be happy.” 




Sylvia Plath herself said:

 "Dying is an art, like everything else. I do it exceptionally well. I do it so it feels like hell. I do it so it feels real."

“Meaningful relationships and empathy fade, but material objects are eternal.”

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Toggle Footer