Sunday 21 July 2013

No Comment


The lovely; and multi-talented Paul Bliss [founder of the small Hampshire festival, Blissfields] managed to squeeze in a small interview whilst he took a break from painting the festivals porter loo’s a variety of neon colours. The festival, held usually on a glorious weekend has hosted acts such as Ben Howard, Mumford and Sons, Laura Marling and Scouting for Girls. I wanted to find out a little more about the birth of Blissfields and how one would even begin to go about creating such a fab event. 

“It really started as a bit of a party in the back garden with about 70 people, it's grown and and taken on a life of it's own now collecting helpers and different stages and areas along the way. We try not to push it's growth to much, just letting it grow as naturally as possible”  

Blissfields certainly has grown vastly; attracting this years headliner Bastille back for the third time. Mr Bliss is super enthusiastic about their return and assured me that even though he is known for his two left feet, he will be joining me in the crowds for a performance that I’m sure will be out of this world. 

Whilst on the subject of insane performances I thought it the perfect time to see if the ‘super cool’ Paul has an equally ‘cool super’ power. I mentioned that my desire to fly, despite my vertigo was somewhat generic and boring and he assured me his was worse continuing to say; “I want to pack the whole festival down on the Monday after with the click of my fingers”.

Having just sat through a terrifying university talk and realizing that it’s going to happen to me all too soon; I decided that whatever Paul did to end up hosting ‘The Best Small Festival’ in the UK, was probably controversial and different to the usual ‘I got a degree, and got a job’ that you hear all the time, everywhere you go. It turns out that you don’t need a degree in ‘Festival management’ but you can do all this after studying Biology at university and then working on the family farm, I’d like to think there was hope for me too!  

I usually spend most of my free time listening to music and watching films, so this years theme ‘Directors Cut’ is possibly the greatest one ever for me - Why did you pick such an awesome title? 

“We are always looking at adding new areas to the weekend and with the cinema being premièred this year it seemed like the natural choice, it gives a huge scope for costumes as well!”


His aim for the festival was to make it “friendly and fun” saying that you can have a great time at Blissfields even if you don’t see any music, you just meet up with your ‘Festival Family’ in a field and hang out. If that doesn’t paint the perfect image of a festival in your minds by now I don’t know what will.

XX

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Toggle Footer