Wednesday 31 July 2013

No Comment

Hello Everyone! (this post will probably convince you I'm crazy).



Just two of the children you'd be helping.


On the 31st of August this summer, I will be competing in the open water race across the Hellespont - which is just over two miles!I have decided to raise sponsorship in aid of the Amakuru Trust, a company set up to help the victims of the Rwandan genocide. I have always felt a strong connection with the people of Africa ever since I lived there five years ago. Having supported the people of Rwanda since I joined St Mary’s School, I felt that I could do more to contribute to the wonderful things that are being done to help the victims of the Rwandan genocide. The help that the Amakuru Trust provides to children is so precious to them, that I know this is the charity I want to help the most. I have been looking for something interesting and challenging in which to take part for some time now; and swimming the Hellespont won’t only benefit me, but also the people of Rwanda.Any donation that you can give will help massively towards the education of the victims. I can't thank you enough for any contribution you are able to make.

The Hellespont History:    

 Under a mile wide at its narrowest point, the Hellespont is a tight navigable channel separating Asia from Europe. It is also a scene of the legendary love story depicted in Greek mythology of Hero and Leander (pictured left). Hero, a priestess of Aphrodite lived on the European side of the Hellespont in a high tower right by the sea. Her lover, Leander lived on the opposite side on the Asian coast. Leander would swim across the Hellespont nightly to be with Hero, guided by a lantern fixed to the tower and would return at day break. One fateful night the lantern was extinguished by a fierce wind and in the darkness Leander lost his way and drowned. On hearing the news and overcome with grief, Hero threw herself from the tower in a bid to be reunited with her beloved.
Lord Byron self-deprecatingly compared himself to Leander in his poem "Written After Swimming From Sestos To Abydos.".
 

In 1810 he became the first known person to swim across the Hellespont, in honor of Leander. 
The swim now takes place on the 31st of August annually, (This date commemorates the final victory for the Turks in the Turkish War of Independence in 1922 against the Greeks). The Hellespont was also the scene of the first naval assault on Gallipoli in WWI Any number of British, Turkish and French wrecks litter the sea floor.

If you'd like to sponsor me then you can click the link below. Anything you give will help massively, and 100% of any money raised goes directly out to Rwanda. 

Thank you in advance for your generosity, 

Daisy xx

The Charity
My JustGiving page

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Toggle Footer